Subrogation is defined as the legal right to collect a debt or damages. California Government Code section 53069.6 gives public entities the authority to take all practical and reasonable steps to recover civil damages for the negligent, willful, or unlawful damaging or taking of property of the local agency, including the institution of appropriate legal action.
Pursuant to Government Code section 53069.6, the City of Stockton diligently pursues these recovery costs. The Subrogation/Recovery Unit of the Risk Services Division is responsible for pursuing recovery, subject to the initiating department providing the proper information.
- Appears in court
- Contacts debtors for payments and payment arrangements
- Creates partnerships with other City departments
- Develops greater collection resources and expertise
- Implements cost-effective billing and collection processes
- Interviews debtors to establish payment plans
- Locates debtor's assets to attach to satisfy debts
- Prepares legal actions and releases of lien
- Preparse writs of execution, orders of examinations, creditor's claims
- Provides assistance to individuals to clear their financial obligations to the City of Stockton
- Provides accounts receivable solutions
- Provides quality billing and collections services
- Researches accounts for total amount owing and breakdown of charges
There are currently no external links.
This City of Stockton web page last reviewed on --- 5/12/2015